Tuesday 22 December 2020

Xylophone | SLJ

For the first task of the second week I learnt about how different amounts of space inside an object can change the output of the sound it will create. For this activity I created a xylophone using cups of water.  I learnt if you put lots of water in a cup it will create a high pitch, but if you put less water in a cup the opposite happens and it creates a low pitch. The pitch differs for how much water you use. The same with the paper tubes, if its longer it creates a lower pitch because the sound has to travel longer, but if it is a short tube the sound travels lesser creating a high pitch. I recorded a video of me experimenting with the cup xylophone. 



6 comments:

  1. Kia ora David

    Good to see another awesome blog post! You’ve been busy this summer, tau ke!

    Great camera work with this post. That’s an important component to consider when creating a video.

    Did you make any songs or melodies with your xylophones?

    Mā te wā,

    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Benjamin,
    Can I call you Ben today. Thank you for the great feedback. I made some but I forgot to put it onthe video. What song will you play on the xylophone?
    Thanks,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning David.
    Yea no worries, Ben or Benjamin is fine.
    Maybe I'd try playing mary had a little lamb. Some other students have been playing that song. Otherwise I would just make up a song of my own :).
    All the best,
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ben,
    That's a great idea to play. What kind of wood are xylophones are made out of?
    Talk to you later,
    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea sorry David. I've never owned a xylophone before. I own a guitar and some drums though.

      Delete
  5. Hi David

    This is fabulous. What a lot of effort you have put into completing this activity and explaining it all. A great posting.

    Great to see you so involved in the SLJ. I hope you keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.